J.S. McCarthy has been providing exceptional service, cutting-edge technology, and high-quality products to customers since 1947. As one of the oldest and largest commercial printers in New England, we have been at the forefront of industry innovation, constantly listening to our customers’ needs and offering solutions that help their businesses succeed.
Starting as a company that provided intricate and detail-oriented results in the high-end commercial print and finishing market, we have expanded our services to the growing folding carton packaging market by utilizing our existing equipment. Over the years, we have strategically acquired new technology to maintain the highest standards of quality and meet customer demand. With our commercial printing background and strong relationships with local paper mills, we can provide high-end folding carton packaging and the necessary paper-board when it’s time to print.
At J.S. McCarthy, we believe that investing in technology is just as important as investing in our team members. As a 100% employee-owned company, every team member has a personal interest in the success of our customers because it directly relates to their success as business owners. Our skilled craftspeople take pride in their work and produce printed products that catch customers’ attention.
At the core of our company is a culture of customer service. We strive to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations for quality, speed, and reliability. Our employee-owners are fully committed to your success, making working with J.S. McCarthy a rewarding experience.Learn About ESOP
- Bobst ExpertCut 106 PER Blanker is installed
- 14,000 square feet added to Maine Production Facility
J.S. McCarthy Printers forms Employee Stock Ownership Plan "ESOP" to become a 100% employee-owned company
Horizon BQ280 Digital Perfect Binder is installed
8 Color Heidelberg Double Coater HUV Press is installed replacing Komori Perfector and Straight Presses installed in 2007 and 2008
- Bobst Visionfold 110 Folding Carton Gluer replaces SBL installed in 2006
- Second Bobst SP104BM Die Cut/Embossing/Foil Stamp Machine is installed
- Kodak Nexpress ZX is installed
- Artco of Canton, MA joins the J.S. McCarthy Family
- 15,000 square feet is added to Maine Production Facility
- Marquip Econ Sheeter is installed
8 Color Komori Straight Press converted to HUV ink system
- Printech of Stamford, CT joins the J.S. McCarthy Family
- Buhrs BB700 5 Station Inserter is installed
- Bobst SP104BM Die Cut/Embossing/Foil Stamp Machine replaces Brausse installed in 2005
- Bobst Expertfold 110A-2 Folding Carton Gluer is installed
- The first Stahl KH82 with PFX Pile Feeder in the United States is installed
- HP Indigo 7600 replaces Indigo 5500 installed in 2008
- Heidelberg ST450 Saddle Stitcher with barcode recognition is installed
- MCS Eagle UV Inkjet System is installed
- Wolf Colorprint of Newingtonm CT joins the J.S. McCarthy Family
- The world’s first 8 color double coater Komori HUV Perfector Press is installed
- 22,000 square feet is added to Maine Production Facility
Henry Sawyer Company of Boston, MA joins the J.S. McCarthy Family
- Spectrum Printing of Portland, ME joins the J.S. McCarthy Family
- J.S. McCarthy is recognized as a Top 20 Green Power Printer by The US Department of Environmental Protection and has continued to be recognized annually since 2009
- HP Indigo 5500 is installed
- 8 Color Komori Straight Press is installed
- State of the Art Paper Bailing System is installed for efficient waste recycling
- Kolbus KM472A Perfect Binder with camera recognition is installed
- J.S. McCarthy commits to 100% wind power for all operations
- 8 Color Komori Perfector Press is installed
- 36,000 square feet added to Maine Production Facility
SBL Folder Gluer is installed
Brausse 40” Die Cutter is installed
SBL 40” Die Cut/Embossing/Foil Stamp Machine is installed
Polar Cutting Sytems with Automatic Offloaders is installed
Monarch Management Information and Scheduling Software replaces Karen System
Graphic Color Service of Fairfield, ME joins the J.S. McCarthy Family
- J.S. McCarthy merges with Letter Systems Printing
- 6 color Heidelberg Speedmaster is installed
Joseph McCarthy founded and opened the J.S. McCarthy company
Check out our facility map for an interactive experience.
Ever since his eyes could differentiate color and long before business casual was the accepted standard for office attire, Jonathan “Jon” Tardiff had his sights set on becoming a businessman. On his first day of kindergarten, Jon opted to wear a navy blazer, yellow necktie, and loafers to be dressed just like his Dad, Rick. While his three younger siblings and friends spent time playing after school and during the summer months, Jon was busy helping his father Rick at Letter Systems Printing in Hallowell, Maine where our family’s journey in the printing business all started. Jon played hockey and baseball during his middle and high school years but also found the time to work. While attending Babson College, Jon was a sales rep for J.S. McCarthy. In 2004, after earning a Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurial Studies from Babson College, Jon returned home to Maine where he quickly settled into the role of Production Manager at J.S. McCarthy. To this day, it is not unusual to find Jon driving a forklift, helping to package product, and just doing whatever needs to be done around the plant to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Jon leads by example, and it is no secret that his vision, his work ethic, and dedication to our company made him the clear choice to take over as President and CEO of J.S. McCarthy after our dad, Rick, retired in 2017. Most days, Jon no longer wears a blazer or a necktie, but he is hands-on and always thinking of ways to improve and grow our company. Jon and his wife, April, have two daughters, each adding a unique shade to this ever-growing and colorful family!
Amy Tardiff landed back at J.S. McCarthy Printers full time in October of 2016. The term landed is only fitting for this world traveler; Amy is also the final piece of the puzzle that allowed Rick Tardiff to realize his dream of having all four of his children active in our family business. After high school, Amy attended McGill University in Montreal, Canada, where she earned a Bachelor of Commerce Degree in 2005. Amy did not waste time jetting off to her next adventure in Ireland, where she worked as a fund administrator for a year, followed by a brief stint back at J.S. McCarthy in 2006 as the Director of HR. Amy did great things during her time here at J.S. McCarthy, but her heart and mind still needed more adventure. In 2008, she returned to Ireland and worked as a program administrator at a logistics company. In that role, she traveled extensively throughout Europe. She moved back to the US to pursue graduate studies, and in 2012, Amy graduated Magna Cum Laude from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a dual Masters in Business Administration and Juris Doctorate. For the next four years, Amy practiced law in Pittsburgh, with a concentration in corporate finance law. Amy and her husband welcomed their first child in 2015, so it didn’t come as much of a shock when her growing family decided to move back home to Maine in 2016. In 2017, they welcomed a second son. When Amy is not working or spending time with her husband, their growing boys and their much-loved fur babies, she enjoys spending time outdoors. She serves on several local non-profit boards and is on the Board of Directors at a local bank.
Matthew “Matty” Tardiff came back to work at J.S. McCarthy full time in 2011. Matty graduated from Bentley University in Waltham, MA, with a Bachelors of Science in Corporate Finance and Accounting in 2009, continuing on to complete a Masters in Financial Accountancy in 2010 while working as an auditor at one of the big four firms in Boston. Matty gained a worldwide focus as he worked and studied abroad, so when he decided to move home in late 2011, the family was thrilled to harness his wealth of knowledge in our growing business. Since moving back and stepping into his latest role as CFO, Matty has kept a keen eye on the bottom line, using his diverse general business knowledge to make sure our pencils are sharp and our processes are tight, and that work does not end at JSM. Outside of work, Matty serves on several boards related to the industry and our local community; you are most likely to find him on the finance committee roster. When he is not working or volunteering, Matty enjoys staying active; seeing much of the world on his bicycle, and enjoying time on the ski slopes with his family and friends because 40 hours a week just isn’t enough sometimes. In 2021, Matty completed his first Iron Man competition in 13 hours, 22 minutes, and 53 seconds.