J.S. McCarthy is proud that 100% of all our electricity purchases are derived from wind power. We have made this commitment as part of our ongoing initiatives to reduce our environmental impact. Because we use 100% wind power in our facility, our customers can be assured that they are supporting clean energy through their purchases from J.S. McCarthy. In addition, we will be able to display the appropriate environmental logos on all printed products, recognizing your support for the environment.
We recycle over 120 tons of waste paper and cardboard per month. That equates to over 2,850,000 pounds of paper that is beneficially reused and kept from landfills. Additionally, our internal waste reductions efforts have resulted in a 40% reduction in paper used to set up our equipment.
Know the facts!
- Print drives higher ROI
- US advertisers spend $167/person in direct mail to earn $2095 worth of goods per person.
- Direct mail gives advertisers a 13-1 return (Source: DMA)
- Since 1999, the direct mail share has risen steadily reaching 22% in 2008. Direct mail has maintained its large ad share even with the introduction of new, fast-growing ad markets
- Eight out of 10 households (79%) say they either read or scan the advertising mail sent to their homes
- 51% of consumers say traditional mail is their preferred method of contact (CMO Council)
- Response rate for email marketing has fallen by 57% since 2004, but response rate from direct mail has risen 14% (IP)
- For every tree harvested in the US, three trees are planted (source AF&PA)
- 4 million trees are planted daily in the US, 1.7 million of that by the wood and paper industries. (USDA Forest Service & SFI)
- Worldwide roughly 600 million trees are planted by the paper and forest industry annually (IP)
- Paper is one of the most recycled products used in the US
- Total recovery rate for all paper in US was more than 63%, 340 pounds per capita.
- 38% of fiber used in the US for paper production comes from recovered sources
- Paper made from 30% PCW used 10% less energy to make, produces 25% less waste water and 6% less greenhouse gas emissions. Each ton conserves about 15 trees. (Environmental Defense Paper Calculator)
J.S. McCarthy has employed a digital workflow since 1998 which has eliminated film and numerous chemicals from the production process workflow. This workflow allows us to exchange proofs and files electronically therefore reducing the need for paper proofs and shipping services.
Recently we installed a state-of the-art ink system that allows us to mix on site the exact amount of ink necessary for each job, thus eliminating waste. The system tracks all inventory and provides mixing instructions to maximize all possible uses of current inventory, further reducing waste. We use highly pigmented non-hazardous vegetable based inks to provide the best quality images, while reducing the environmental impact.
J.S. McCarthy has converted all lighting in our plant to energy efficient fluorescent fixtures. This effort alone will cut our total electricity usage by 6%. Additionally, we have installed energy efficient compressors in our plant to produce all of the air needed to operate our equipment. These new units will provide more air and use less electricity than the older models they replaced.